
One day Mrs. Church talked to me. “What is wrong, Billy? You used to be such a good reader.”
“Oh, I don’t know.” I said. I really couldn’t explain my “rags to riches” theory of reading. I knew it was time to make my move back up to the top. But it wasn’t going to be easy. I had about three weeks worth of workbook assignments to turn in, plus the current assignments. I also had to be more impressive as a reader. That was the easy part. I made sure I followed along with the rest of the group, and when it was my turn, I read so fast that the other kids complained that they couldn’t keep up with me. I stayed up late at night and got my workbook assignments done quickly. I had hated them in the first place, but now I really hated them.
In a few days Mrs. Church was glad to move me into the middle reading group again. Not long after that I was back in the highest reading group. I had proved to myself that I could do it, but it was sure hard. Horatio Alger’s rags to riches stories aside, it’s better to stay where you are.
Coming Tomorrow: Family Reunions
No comments:
Post a Comment