
One year the Allred Family Reunion, which is for my mother’s family, was holding their business meeting. I sat in the back, dripping with sweat from running around and playing with the other kids. Someone stood at the front of the meeting, and said, “If we all join together and contribute a little bit of money, we could send someone over to England to do some family history research for us.
Another person said, “I know of other families that have done this, they have found so much information about their ancestors.”
By this time I was intrigued. They were going to send someone to England!
Another person spoke up: “I really think this is a good idea.”
I thought it was a good idea too.
Then my Uncle Dave spoke up: “Who will we send over there?”
It was quiet for a moment. Then I raised my hand and said loudly, “I’ll go!”
Everyone turned around, looked at me, and laughed. That was the funniest thing they had ever heard in their business meeting before.
The family reunion began to wind down after it got dark. The older people hugged and kissed each other as they said good bye. Many had come hundreds of miles just to be there for a few hours. My family and I piled into the car and we got ready to go.
As we pulled away from where the family reunion had been held, I
always looked back to see the relatives one last time. Though I didn’t know as many of my relatives as I should have, my heart had indeed been turned to my fathers.
Coming Tomorrow: Christmas At Grandpa’s
No comments:
Post a Comment